Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:17:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Anthony Kim <niceshorts@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Having trouble with Envelope sender verification

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Anthony Kim wrote:

> A lot of people have the same problem:
>
> $ host -t ptr freebsdportal.com.
> There is an entry for this host, but it doesn't have a Pointer
> record.
>
> Also, I noticed another problem with your DNS.
>
> $ host -t ptr mail.freebsdportal.com.
> mail.freebsdportal.com is a nickname for freebsdportal.com
> There is an entry for this host, but it doesn't have a Pointer
> record.
>
> --
Hmm... would it help if I did not have mail.xyz a CNAME?
I set up my zone record quite some time ago, and I don't
think making a mail a CNAME is a good idea.
What if I changed
freebsdportal.com.             IN  A  24.9.218.175
www.freebsdportal.com.         IN  CNAME freebsdportal.com.
mail.freebsdportal.com.        IN  CNAME freebsdportal.com.
freebsdportal.com.             IN  A  24.9.218.175
www.freebsdportal.com.         IN  CNAME freebsdportal.com.
mail.freebsdportal.com.        IN  A  24.9.218.175

Is that legal? Would that work?

> Looking at your reverse lookup zone, I find:
> 218.9.24.in-addr.arpa.  1D IN NS        ns1.home.net.
>
> I don't know how responsive @home is going to be, sorry.

Can't I control this if I run my own name server?

Thanks
Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org