Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 06:13:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling for v2.2.8 with a 3.X machine

Mark Barr wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > I was wondering if it is possible to compile C code using GCC on a 3.3
 > FreeBSD machine, but create binaries compatible with v2.2.8. The machine I'm
 > using has compat22 installed, but I don't know if it allows you to create
 > a.out binaries. Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is _not_ a.out vs. ELF, because FreeBSD can run ELF
binaries for a long time, including 2.2.8.  The problem is that
3.3 has different (newer) libraries than 2.2.8.

I haven't actually tried this myself, but it should be possible
to copy the libs from 2.2.8 to your 3.3 machine (if you don't
already have them), and then tell the compiler to use those,
and not to use the standard system libraries (-nostdlib).  You
then have to specify the 2.2.8 libc explicitely, and probably
crt1.o, too.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)