Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:22:41 -0800
From:      Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 08:29:46AM -0800, Benno Rice wrote:
>>=20
>> With the removal of the fortune datfiles I think it=E2=80=99s time to
>> have a discussion about fortune(6).
>=20
> There should have been a discussion before the removal, but
> your method prevented an inevitable bikeshed.

You=E2=80=99re correct in that my intent was to avoid pointless =
discussion. We=E2=80=99ve got bigger and more fun things to work on than =
coming up with an editorial policy as to what is or isn=E2=80=99t =
appropriate in the fortune datfiles.

>> fortune now defaults to using a fortune file that no longer exists:
>=20
> When functionality is removed from src, a port is usually created.
> The datfiles should be available from ports/games/bsd-fortune.

Feel free to create it. If someone else wants to take editorial =
responsibility for those files I=E2=80=99m all for it. FreeBSD should =
not be taking responsibility for them and I don=E2=80=99t wish to take =
that responsibility either.

>> $ fortune
>> No fortunes found in =
/usr/share/games/fortune:/usr/local/share/games/fortune.
>>=20
>> fortune is still used in the default .login/.profile to show entries
>> from the still existing freebsd-tips:
>>=20
>> $ grep fortune /usr/share/skel/*
>> /usr/share/skel/dot.login:if ( -x /usr/bin/fortune ) /usr/bin/fortune =
freebsd-tips
>> /usr/share/skel/dot.profile:if [ -x /usr/bin/fortune ] ; then =
/usr/bin/fortune freebsd-tips ; fi
>> $ fortune freebsd-tips
>> If you need a reminder to leave your terminal, type "leave +hhmm" =
where
>> "hhmm" represents in how many hours and minutes you need to leave.
>> 		-- Dru <genesis@istar.ca>
>>=20
>> fortune also still has flags for showing offensive entries and the =
like.
>>=20
>=20
> What is offensive to one person may not offend another person.  What
> if someone objects to quotes by Dru (sorry Dru looks like you got=20
> picked at random above).  The above looks like an attack on people
> with memory loss issues (age discrimination?).  Will you remove Dru's
> quotes?

Nice try. The freebsd-tips collection has some useful stuff which is why =
I put forward the idea of keeping it. Comments like this are exactly why =
I got rid of everything else.

>> I would like people=E2=80=99s opinion on which of the following two =
paths we
>> should take:
>>=20
>> 1) Complete removal of fortune and freebsd-tips, remove its usage =
from
>> the default .login/.profile files.
>=20
> Create ports/games/bsd-fortune.

Be my guest.

>> 2) Reworking fortune(6) to remove the offensive fortune flag and
>> make freebsd-tips the default, possibly by symlinking it as
>> /usr/share/games/fortune/fortunes.
>=20
> 3) Restore the datfiles.  Add a WITHOUT_FORTUNE knob and set it
>   as the default.  This allows an individual to tailor her system
>   to meet her needs without having others force a politically=20
>   correct revisionist history on them.

Oh please. If you want the datfiles they=E2=80=99re there in history. If =
you want to be the one distributing them, go ahead. I=E2=80=99m fairly =
sure that the availability of quotes regarding, or by, Hitler or anyone =
else has been diminished by a rounding error or less by us no longer =
distributing the datfiles. FreeBSD is an operating system, not an =
encyclopedia.

> This will be my one and only post in this bikeshed.  Given the=20
> sudden removal of the datfiles without discussion.  This appears
> to be a perfunctory discussion prior to you pursuing your own
> choice.

Think of me whatever you want, I=E2=80=99m not fussed. I=E2=80=99m =
asking with 100% honest intentions what the community wants to do with =
this tool. If the consensus is for retaining fortune for use with the =
freebsd-tips datfile then I=E2=80=99m absolutely cool with that.

I made a unilateral decision to remove a potential source of pointless =
distraction. I could=E2=80=99ve unilaterally removed fortune entirely at =
that point but I didn=E2=80=99t as the freebsd-tips aspect appears to =
have actual utility and is something we can easily manage. The other =
files weren=E2=80=99t. If they=E2=80=99re important to you, please feel =
free to check out either r325781 (if you want the files) or r325095 (if =
you want the files with the Hitler quotes) and maintain them yourself.

Cheers,
	Benno.=