Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:58:34 +0400
From:      rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   preventing FIFO from EOF

$ mkfifo /var/tmp/foo
$ buffer -i /var/tmp/foo                    # misc/buffer
# in another console:
$ echo hi > /var/tmp/foo

buffer prints hi and exits. I want it to keep reading and printing
indefinitely.

Further experimentation revealed that I need two writers: one dummy
writer that just keeps /var/tmp/foo open for writing, and the other
doing the "real work". This way buffer wouldn't exit. But how to emulate
the dummy writer? It itself needs to block on something to keep
/var/tmp/foo open. Any clean way to do this in shell? Maybe the solution
is quite simple but isn't at the tip of my tongue.

Thanks.