Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:28:50 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        karl agee <kdagee@attglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: where's perl???

In the last episode (Jul 25), karl agee said:
> I am trying to install imwheel in my -current setup...ran make install
> in the port (updated yesterday) and it ran the compliation but bombed at
> perl.  It sed:

Ha ha very ^ punny

> su-2.05a# make install; make clean
> /usr/local/bin/perl: not found
> *** Error code 127
>
> on my box perl is located
>
> su-2.05a# whereis perl
> perl: /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz /usr/src/usr.bin/perl
>
> I checked various files to see if I could edit anything but there was
> nothing obvious.  Should I make a link to /usr/bin/perl?

Perl has been removed from -current, mainly due to the difficulty of
keeping it as up-to-date as people want.  People are sweeping through
port Makefiles replacing ${PERL} with ${REINPLACE} (aka sed), and it
looks like you hit one that they haven't done yet.  You can set
PERL=/usr/bin/perl in /etc/make.conf (or add the symlink), but
eventually you'll want to install the perl port and blow away
/usr/bin/perl and /usr/libdata/perl.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com