Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:31:52 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to copy packages-4.6.2-release tree to packages-4-stable ?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:26:00PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:

> > > personally yes, for now.  except why can't you do:
> > >
> > > mv packages-4-stable .p4stable.old
> > > ln -s packages-4.6.2-release packages-4-stable
> > > rm -rf .p4stable.old
> > I don't follow why that could happen.  The packages-4-stable tree already
> > exists.
>
> because the contents of packages-4.6.2-release and packages-4-stable
> are totally different in a mirroring sense.
>
> so what i think will happen if you implement it as you said:
> o mirrors will delete 5G of 4.6.2 stable they just took a while to fetch
> o then mirrors will redownload it all into packages-4-stable, where you
>   have just copied it all to.
>
> so there will be a refetch of 5G to a lot of mirrors.
>
> if it is done the other way, then there will be a deletion of 5G, but
> no refetch required.
>
> it is entirely possible i misunderstood something though and i have the
> flu at the moment, so please excuse any incoherency.

I think you're reading my ln'ing in #3 backards.  Noone should be
deleting the  5G of 4.6.2 stable they just fetched.  I propose to remove
the packages-4-stable directory tree in its entirty.  Then I will create
a new "packages-4-stable" that is a symlink pointing to the
"packages-4.6.2-release" directory tree.