Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:24:40 -0600
From:      greg <gval@mts.net>
To:        Relayer <relayer@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem booting WinXP from second drive

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 15:36, Relayer wrote:
[... snip ...]
> Then I hook up the primary drive again and reboot.  I see the following at boot time:
>
> F1: FreeBSD
> F2: FreeBSD
> F5: Drive 1
>
> I hit F5.  Then I see
>
> F1: DOS
> F5: Drive 0
>
> When I hit F1, I expect WinXP to boot.  But nothing happens.  The machine just sits there.  I have scanned a lot of material in the Handbook and on google today and yesterday, but I cannot figure out what I did wrong.  Does anybody have any ideas that don't involve using grub or gag or something else?
>
> Thanks
>
> OP

I have the same setup.

With that setup, you pretty much have to use GRUB or GAG (I suggest GAG,
it works wonderfully). The issue is that Windows needs to think it is
the first hard drive. GRUB and GAG can fool windows into thinking it is
on the first drive.

If you do not wish to install these boot loaders, you will have to
change your cabling so that Windows is on the first drive and change
your BIOS to boot off the second. Then the BSD loader will be able to
boot Windows (AFAIK).

PS: Sorry about miss-interpreting the message the first time I responded
to you personally.
--
greg <gval@mts.net>