Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 2009 18:45:43 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help configuring qemu networking tap mode

Doug Barton wrote:
>> So I'm past the Network Install phase and we're now finalizing the
>> install. :)
>
> Well, bad news ... the install is finished, but networking is not
> working. If I do user mode networking it gets an IP address but can't
> see the outside world. If I follow your instructions from the previous
> e-mail it never gets an IP address at all, the network status thing
> says "limited or no connectivity."

Turns out that there is a page on the wiki that has some good
suggestions, although it could use a bit of tweaking. I got networking
up by doing this in the host:

myif=bge0

ifconfig tap create
ifconfig bridge create
ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0 addm $myif up

Then I was able to start qemu with the tap command line and now
networking works.

I also installed kqemu, but I'm noticing that even with that working
it's still pretty slow. I have a pretty fast core 2 duo and qemu is
often pegging one of the cpus. Still, it's interesting enough to keep
trying to make work ...

Doug