Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2013 17:53:50 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which X driver for NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M?

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 08:53:49 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 02/03/13 03:33, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > I'm considering buying this Thinkpad T61p laptop:
> > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321063105251
> >
> > It lists this graphics card:
> >
> > NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
> >
> > I'm not sure what driver, if any, will support it.
> >
> > There seems to be the official Nvidia FreeBSD driver
> > provided for it:
> >
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_100.14.09.html
> >
> > but this apparently has to be installed outside of
> > the ports tree.
> >
> > xf86-video-nv drivers list several other Quadro cards,
> > but not specifically 570M.
> >
> > Maybe somebody has used this card, so can give a
> > definite reply?
>
> I can't specifically address that issue, but according to this page:
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/nvidia-setup.html

This is how I got my nVidia card working. It's worth mentioning
that the alternatives -- the "nv" driver (from X.org) and the
"nouveau" driver -- did work, but had poor 3D performance. The
proprietary driver by nVidia can be easily installed according
to the article you've mentioned.

> recent nvidia cards should be supported by the
>   x11/nvidia-driver port

This is currently the most advanced driver for that brand.
However, I had trouble with it when installing the 64 bit OS
and I went "back" to 32 bit, so I can't tell if this has been
improved.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany