Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:26:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

> [... Hiten want's to GPL'ify FreeBSD ...]

hi,
first of all, i would like to clear of some point
which
have been taken wrongly.

o  My Intentions were never to GPL'ify FreeBSD :-)

o  The reason i started this discussion was because
   i think JFS/JFS2 would be a nice addition to
   FreeBSD like the rest of the other filesystems.

o  The JFS does _not_ have to be root, and even if
   people were to download it because it is GPL'ed,
   the size of the filesystem is only around 1.0MB

o  Statistically, not everyone is going to run after
   IBM's JFS, when there are other similar File
Systems

o  If people did want JFS, they can download it of
   our website, say http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jfs

o  It can also be a child project, like the JAVA
   Project.

o  I think, (personally), that we migh be able to get
   more Corporates attracted, if we take the step of
   porting quality (not exactly) GPL'ed technologies
   for FreeBSD (my personal thoughts)

o  It is hard to Port AIX or OS/2 based code, but we
   have to agree that, BSD Users were meant to take
   that kind of challenges, have taken before

o  The JFS, can just be a bonus addition for FreeBSD,
   and does not have to be part of the base addition,
   example: CD-ROMS /DVD or any other releases which
   prohibit GNU Code.

=====
-Hiten,

Thank You,