Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:05:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERC2 RAID support in 4.1-STABLE

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Danny Braniss wrote:

> I don't know how relevant this is but, i am evaluating a dell box
> with a 'Dell Perc 3/si' it has at the moment only 2 IBM drives, so I can
> only test raid0/1.

If memory serves, this is what I ordered on a couple of my new
2450's...  The 100MHz i960RX with 128MB cache.  I'm planning to run some
tests in RAID 1 and 10 modes.

I'm not sure I fully understand why a lot of people are so caught up on
RAID 5.  RAID 1 seems fast and reliable given a decent controller with
good recovery options, and RAID 10 sounds like a better solution with a
larger quantity of drives.

I plan to test with RAID 1 mirrors setup on different channels, and then
stripe across the channels/mirror sets just to see what kind of numbers I
get - has anyone already tested this setup?

-mrh