Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:35:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

<<On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:39:18 -0800, "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com> said:

> But that is not the "deal" that was presented to us when we had to endure
> the gratuitous sd->da name change.  The whole justification was a single
> device name for disks (and what ever else is direct access).

No, that was not the justification for the name change.  The
justification (Justinfication?) was that in SCSI terminology, these
things -- not all of which are disks -- are called ``direct access''
devices.  Similarly, `sa' is ``sequential access''.  ATAPI had nothing
whatsoever to do with it.

-GAWollman