Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 20:29:21 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dmorrisn <dmorrisn@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, James Love <love@cptech.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

At 07:24 PM 10/2/98 -0700, dmorrisn wrote:
>> History has proven exactly the opposite. The introduction of Windows
>> application support in OS/2 actually accelerated its demise. If FreeBSD
>> starts billing itself as "a better Linux than Linux" it will fall into
>> precisely the same trap and will never catch up.
>
>That is a rhetorical fallacy.  (Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc -- "After
>this therefore because of this")

No fallacy at all. It's been proven again and again that emulating another
OS that's more popular provides the ultimate disincentive to developers.
OS/2 is only one recent case in point.

Look at it from the developer's point of view. Why EVER develop a native
FreeBSD version of any product if one can just do a Linux version?

So, FreeBSD's name never appears on the box. Tech support for commercial
products is unavailable when they run under FreeBSD, while they're well
supported under Linux. Linux gets the mindshare and FreeBSD becomes known
as an unsupported also-ran.

I watched this happen with OS/2. I couldn't even get support for WINDOWS
apps running under OS/2, much less get native versions that were any
good.

>The reason OS/2 died was because IBM and Microsoft couldn't get along.
>That's why Microsoft cut them off.

The Linux camp doesn't exactly get along with FreeBSD either. They trash
it constantly.

--Brett