Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:54:27 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        smurfen@ludd.luth.se (Ola Persson)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wradar!

Ola Persson stands accused of saying:

> Well, that was at least my impression :) I was in the main building, the
> rocket assembly area, launch area and countdown control center and
> satellite navigation control center. It is noyt very impressive to look at
> if you ask me, but it was pretty cool still... Fun to know that we
> actually have a space program here in Sweden allthough it is not very big.

It's small enough that it's still fun for the people that are
involved, which is a major criterion from my POV 8)

> Was this in the main building ? There is a building a couple of miles away
> that is ran by ESA.. I was never there. In the room where they navigated
> the Tele-X satellite they had some cool 'puters, I never had a chance to
> check them out real close.

IIRC they were/are Vaxstation 4000's running VMS; in the anteroom to
the Tele-X control room was (when I was there) one of the old 11/750's
that they used when they were setting it up 8)

I never went to the ESA building either, and I hardly ever saw much of
it; the road to/from Esrange was too much fun.  (Funny how everyone
complained about my driving but never wanted to do it themselves...)

> Well, my university has a campus in Kiruna too. Kiruna is the closest city
> to Esrange. If you have been there you can agree with that it is in the
> middle of nowhere. Anyway, we went to Kiruna for a party so we visited
> Esrange at the same time ;)

It's definitely the middle of nowhere 8) But coming from a country
where most of the place is "the middle of nowhere" that's perhaps less
of a shock to me.  Ah, I understand; you would have done the bus-tour
thing.

> Also, if you have been to Esrange, I will kill you for not tellning me so
> we could have met :) *smile*

Cripes, I was there for three weeks and made lots of noise about it
both beforehand and afterwards around june last year 8)  You were
probably off on a fishing holiday like everyone else that was supposed
to be helping us!

There'll be a few of our people there around April or so, but it's not
looking like I'll get to go again this time.  Drat.