Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:44:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        rv@groa.uct.ac.za, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

> > > I am running 5 P55T2P4D boards with 256MB (4x64MB) and they
> > > are running fine (all RAM is being used by the OS). The memory
> > > is '1st grade RAM' (whatever that may be, although definately more
> > > expensive) and was specicially imported for these machines.
> >
> > But youv'e only half loaded the board, it has 8 simm sockets, try
> > even adding 2 more simms and watch what happens to your stability....
> >
> > The crux is, we went to the T2P4D for the 8 simm sockets, and I have
> > yet to see one of these boards run correctly with even 8 single sided
> > 12 chip simm modules in it!
> >
> > ANYONE out there have one of these boards with 8 simms in it working?
>
> I believe that Curt and I tried it with lower capacity SIMM modules,
> i.e. 8 x 16MB SIMM's, and it worked.  I am not sure, however.
>
> What about other boards?
>
> I see the "ASUS P/I-P65UP5", apparently you can stick either a dual
> Pentium or dual Pentium Pro CPU card in this beast, also 8 SIMM slots
> and support for 512MB RAM.

I have one sitting on the shelf, but don't have a pair of spare P6
CPU chips around to test it with.  I would, except the price went
through the ceiling just as I got the board in :-(.

> I see the "ASUS P/I-P6RP4" which only has four sockets but claims to
> support 128MB memory modules.  Not sure I would trust that since they
> can't even seem to make the 64MB's work right.  And I'm not up enough
> on my chipsets to know what the "450KX" chipset is.

Thats the old Orion chipset, got one of the sitting on the shelf too,
don't even want to play with it until it gets updated to a B0 or
later chipset.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD