Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 01:08:24 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Typing Injuries

At 10:24 PM +0000 2002/03/06, Ceri wrote:

>  I'm currently thinking about this keyboard :
>      http://www.dvortyboards.com/typematrix2020_info.html

	I've had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) for a while now, although I
am currently not suffering excessively.  I've done a fair amount of
research in this subject over the years, and I've found the ergonomic
products available from Alimed to be a real blessing (they normally
target the health-care provider market, but you can order most
products as a private citizen).  See <http://www.alimed.com/>; for
more info.

	One of the things I've discovered is that each person responds
differently to a Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI).  However, of the
people that have RSIs related to typing and computer use, it is
actually the mouse that is usually the worst offender (lots of
horizontal arm and wrist movement combined with lots of vertical
finger movement for clicking) and not the keyboard.

	For people who are actually having problems with the keyboard,
using something like the Microsoft Natural keyboard (i.e., rotating
the hands so that they are in-line with the wrists, as opposed to
being bent outwards) tends to solve only about 5% of the problem.
About 90% of the problem tends to be solved by rotating the wrists
45-90 degrees outward, so that the hands are held in a largely
vertical orientation.  Unfortunately, the Microsoft keyboard doesn't
do this, and therefore really provides limited benefit for most
people.

	If you want a keyboard that can support a more vertical
orientation for the hands, you need something more like the one found
at
<http://www.alimed.com/product_detail.cfm?VMID=18&FamilySKU=73245>.
Alternatively, you can use a keyboard that is designed to conform to
the "bowl-like" shape of movement of the fingers and hands, such as
found in the model at
<http://www.alimed.com/product_detail.cfm?VMID=18&FamilySKU=7898>.

	There are also chording keyboards, in which you press one or more
keys simultaneously to type letters, words, or phrases, and they have
been shown to reduce unnecessary finger movement more than anything
else short of getting rid of the keyboard altogether -- Alimed used
to sell the "bat" keyboard chording device, but I can't seem to find
it on their site.

	For the mouse, if you have to keep an actual mouse, then you need
a proper wrist rest.  Myself, I find that there are several different
types of pads that you can buy that will attach to the mouse, and
help ensure a proper ergonomic position for your hand.  There are
examples at
<http://www.alimed.com/product_detail.cfm?VMID=18&FamilySKU=75087>;
and
<http://www.alimed.com/product_detail.cfm?VMID=18&FamilySKU=7118>,
among others.

	However, for me, I have found that I don't really have much in
the way of CTS problems, ever since I switched to a laptop as my
primary machine, and I pretty much exclusively use the built-in
trackpad instead.

	Of course, when it comes to building a proper ergonomic office,
there is far more to it than just the keyboard or mouse.  There is
also the monitor (and monitor position), the keyboard position, the
chair and chair position, a foot rest, the right desk, etc....
Alimed can help you there, too -- just use their training system at
<http://www.alimed.com/product_detail.cfm?VMID=18&FamilySKU=75174>,
and that should help you figure out what kinds of devices you need
and how they should be properly adjusted.

	Take care of yourself.  Trust me, you do not want to get into a
situation where you need devices such as the ones at
<http://www.alimed.com/product_detail.cfm?VMID=18&FamilySKU=8661>.
While I have not personally needed anything more severe than an elbow
brace and a wrist brace, I have known people with Cerebral Palsy that
have needed devices more like this, and their life with computers is
a real hell -- better than it would be without computers, but still a
hell all the same.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.