Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 22:04:07 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <jbgarcia@inreach.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD/Unix Newbie Starter Questions

	Hey Guys,

	Okay I'm pretty new with Unix and FreeBSD.  I've tried Linux for a little
while but wasn't able to successfully install a completely working system.
Always seemed like everytime I tried something, the system was asking for
something, something missing I guess.  I read the X Window documents and
found it difficult to install a working X system.

	Well, I decided to dump Linux and go with something that seems a bit
better, FreeBSD.  I have heard much about it.  Some say that it's not easy
to install.  What I need is some opinions and advice on my current system
that I'm installing it on.  Let me give you a rundown of what I have.

Pentium 133 on a Triton motherboard
16 Megs of RAM
IDE hardrive
IDE Hitachi CDROM
1 3.5" floppy drive
Hewlet Packard 560C  printer
Microsoft Compatible mouse wiht 3 buttons on com 1
28.8 modem on com 2
Mustek scsi scannet (with proprietary scsi interface)
Unknown Monitor 1024 x 768 max resolution (uknown frequencies)
Diamond 3D 3000 video board
PnP Soundblaster 16

	Okay, that's about all I have.  Now what I wanted to know is how much
difficulty would it to be to add support to those devices that I have and
nothing more.  I want a simple Workstation running X that is ppp capble for
internet use.

	Can anyone give me some ideas or advise.  I'm wanting to learn more about
networking with BSD and also I want to do some novice programming.  A
beginner has to start somewhere, right?

	Thanks for the help!!

					Joey "BEAR" Garcia

= Joey "Bear" Garcia                                         =
= Downey, CA                                                 =
= jbgarcia@inreach.com                                       =
= 310-898-8556 (pager)                                       =
= "If your still in control, you're not driving fast enough" =