Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:32:36 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <mike.jeays@rogers.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: documentation OF FreeBSD

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:43:01 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:07:12 +0200, Ross Cameron <ross.cameron@linuxpro.co.za> wrote:
> > Considering the wording of the original posting I HIGHLY doubt the OP would
> > be willing to use PINE/MUTT/MAIL.
> >
> > So they hardly count,... 99% chances (my bet anyways) are that hey wanted a
> > GUI app for this.
>
> In this case, out of the commonly used programs one could
> be chosen, e. g. Thunderbird. But also lightweighter
> applications such as Sylpheed or even KMail (when you're
> already intending to use KDE) or Evolution (Gnome's
> equivalent, if I remember correctly) is an option.
>
> Using fetchmail to get the messages _independently_ from
> any MUA gives you the chance to test various applications,
> or even use them in parallel, employing one and the same
> mail data. Using the system's mailer (e. g. via SMARTHOST)
> makes you fully independent from the traditional POP/SMTP
> accounts _in_ the MUA.
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

I agree about using Kmail with KDE; it is a well-designed mail program. However, using Kmail with Gnome was a horrible experience; it drags in and keeps starting up nepomuk and its friends, and chews up much of one's CPU capacity with apparently nothing to show for it. I switched to claws, which seems excellent.