Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:57:15 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <jhorne@dfwlp.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended servers for FreeBSD

Quoting Andrew Wasilczuk <andrew@darq.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to see what servers people use for FreeBSD.  I used to
> buy the IBM xSeries x306 for firewalls and web servers and the x206 for
> low budget file servers, but both aren't being sold anymore.  I recently
> got a few IBM x3200 and x3550.  They are really nicely built and I
> hardly have any problems.  However, the on-board RAID controllers
> (Adaptec AIC-9580W) aren't supported under FreeBSD so I fit them with
> 3ware 9000 series RAID cards.  Although I really like those 3ware cards,
> it seems like an extra expense that could be avoided.
>
> What servers do you guys buy and why?  I would really like to have the
> on-board RAID supported. Do HP servers play well with FreeBSD?  If yes,
> which models would you recommend?
>

> Many thanks,
>

> Andrew.
>
> --
>   __/_/_  w: http://darq.com/
>  __/_/_   m: 07971 10 20 88
>   / /     t: 020 7100 1447
g"

I have deployed many types of HP servers with FreeBSD 6.x, so far, =20
none of them have had any issues (all using HP supplied or onboard =20
RAID).  ML110 (G3 i think), ML150 G3 are my most recent, all the way =20
back to the original ML530 G1, all no problems.
--=20
Jonathan Horne
http://www.dfwlp.org
jhorne@dfwlp.org