Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:47:58 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Branching www/ for XML development

At Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:58:17 +0000 (UTC),
nik wrote:
> Separation of content and formatting
> ------------------------------------
>
> Where possible, I'd like the content that people author to be separated from
> the formatting.  We should provide;
>
>   * A standard template for people to write new pages
>   * Stylesheets, and classes, for specific presentation effects
>   * No author should need to write "<small>" in their document, or use
>     other formatting tricks like that.  We either use CSS, or, if browser
>     support is poor, we use CSS in the documents, and let the XSL stylesheets
>     embed the browser specific formatting as necessary
>   * A library of reusable content that can be dropped in to the page
>   * Facilities to help ensure that internal links are correct

Totally agreed in concept.

> Page layout
> -----------

Is this toppage layout, or standard template for each pages?

If this is standard template, I think we should talk about whether we
need left/right navigation.  IMHO these navigations narrow body area
and reduce readability of contents.

> Page description language
> -------------------------
>
> To enforce the style guidelines, don't let authors write a complete HTML
> page.  Instead, give them a cut-down markup language suitable for what they
> need to do, allowing us to enforce the look and feel.

Do you think we can enforce our style guidelines to writers?  Defining
new schema may be overkill.  My suggestion is using XHTML as base
schema and adding extentions for our local use.

# Of course, we can use XSLT to translate XHTML to XHTML.

> Building the web site
> This suggests to me that naming everything with .xml extension might not be
> the best way to do it.  If everything has a .xml extension, irrespective of
> its schema, then we can't write Makefiles that use SUFFIX rules to
> automatically convert documents to HTML.

Yes, we should use (or create) proper filename suffix to express its
schema.

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
             <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project