Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 1994 15:18:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <mdavis@io.cts.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A lighter sup -v?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> No, actually not.  It means "I checked the file and the dates didn't
> match, even if the contents did, so I'm stamping it again and
> recording the fact in my sup logs."  In most stable situations, you
> shouldn't even see that most of the time!

Hmmm.  Would you expect that a full sup about two weeks ago would
result in yesterday's sup (same server) showing about 1800 lines for
'gnu', of which 98% were "updated" entries and very few "received"
entries?  If its a question of "instability", my concern, of course,
is "where".

Also, perhaps you can clarify the relationship between the regular
"snapshots" and "-current" (via sup) for those who, just recently, got
sup working and now are studying up on "snapshots".

I'm not gung-ho about having the latest and greatest all the time.
But I do want to keep up with the latest *working* releases.  I assume
that's more or less the idea of snapshots.  Is there an automated way
(perhaps with sup) to grab snapshots?  Or is this a get-it-via-FTP
type thing?

BTW, FreeBSD has been a great game for me, replacing Myst and Doom
over the last few weeks.  It has all the thrills of an arcade game and
mind-boggling puzzles of an adventure game, and I've dedicated long
hours into the early morning on it.  When you figure out how to
get updates, how to build them, and all the other
undocumented-but-critical procedures, it can be a blast.

(Note, I said "procedures" not "man pages".  There should be a FAQ for
common things like how to *really* get sup and pppd to work for a
typical installation.  And the FAQs that do exist should at least be
revised to include current info.  The kind of "attitude" in many of
the answers is frustrating for those starting with a new FreeBSD
setup.  Example: How do I create new accounts?  Answer:  Use adduser,
dummy!  Well, "adduser" *does not* exist.  Sure, there's a shell script
named "adduser.sh" hidden in /stand, that with a bit of hacking can be
made to add accounts, but jeez.  Not too helpful.  The notes on
setting up pppd seem like they're for versions of FreeBSD prior to 2.0
because they have a lot of *bad* advice and things that don't apply.
Ok, ok, enough bitching.  Very few complaints and quite happy with
things as they are even still.)