Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:58:00 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Steven S Shapiro <shappy@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP Support in FreeBSD?

Steven S Shapiro wrote:

> Hi, I am currently running a FreeBSD server.  However, I'm supplying
> the server's network configuration with static IP addresses and such
> that change (since the ISP uses DHCP).  I was wondering if FreeBSD has
> DHCP support or how I can deal with this?  Thanks for your help.

	Just about any "add-on" feature that you can imagine is available
through the FreeBSD ports collection. :)  I use and highly recommend the
ISC dhcp client, specifically /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp2. Like most unix
things the configuration can be a trial, but once it's up and running it
works extremely well. If you need dhcp to set your machine's hostname
please feel free to mail me privately and I'll send you the patch I have
to the dhclient-script to do this. If you need it, more information
about the ports collection is available at http://www.freebsd.org.

	You may find it most convenient to put the command to start the dhcp
client as the first line in /etc/rc.network. Alternatively, you can put
it in /etc/rc.local and start services that don't work properly till
after the interface is configured (like xntpd and sendmail) in rc.local
after xntpd instead of using the configuration in /etc/rc.conf for those
items.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest