Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:33:32 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scripting languages (was: Re: Package system flaws?)

Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> ksh93 would also help the standards effort.

ksh93 has an unacceptable license.  The legalese is impenetrable,
but it appears you can't redistribute the source without the receiver
explicitly acknowledging the license; AT&T can revoke the license;
etc.  This was clearly written by corporate lawyers in a mindset
entirely different from that of the Open Source community.

(ksh93 also ships with an idiosyncratic build system from hell.
They try to be ultra-portable, but the result is extremely fickle
and the port keeps breaking.  We can't run the regression tests
against the compiled excutable unless somebody dives even further
into the mess of AT&T's parallel code universe, but I suspect if
we could the results would be discouraging.  Speaking as the
maintainer of the port, I certainly advise against people using
ksh93 for anything serious.)