Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 00:53:46 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sudo (was Re: Kerberos vs SSH)

According to Jeff Aitken:
> program?  For example, you can't use sudo to grant access to a text
> editor of any sort without implicitly giving full root access.

That's why my own replacement for su (Calife[1]), although similar in
principle to sudo, has only one function: giving a root shell to someone
authorised by a list. It can also allow people to become another user w/o
going through root (i.e. they can become webmaster or guest but not root).

That way, I don't have to share root passwords or creating uid 0 accounts.

It also give a bit more logging than plain su.

[1] <http://mutt.frmug.org/calife/>;
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #70: Sat Feb 27 09:43:08 CET 1999