Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:34:32 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: retrieving kernel file from memory

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 07:07:27PM +1100, Jacob Rhoden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is really stupid but . . .
>
> I recompiled my kernel twice, then thought it might be a nice idea to have
> a copy of the old kernel in case the system didn't boot properly. Is there
> a (simpleish) way to get a copy of the current kernel in memory back on
> disk?
>
> I do remember thinking at the time, i should copy my kernel, and thinking,
> no, why would I want to do that? hehe doh!

I have you actually done make installkernel ?
  - If not then /kernel is still the kernel you are running
  - If so the /kernel.old is the previous kernel

Are you running GENRIC ? You may have /kernel.GENERIC also.

Give more details of exactly what you have done.

You can always remake a GENERIC kernel.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>