Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12596: pidentd is unstable in 3.2 and 4.0

The following reply was made to PR ports/12596; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc: Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:41:37 -0400 (EDT)

 On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

 > On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:40:12 -0400, "Brian F. Feldman" wrote:
 >
 > > > I can understand the stuck identd processes perhaps, from inetd, but.. I
 > > > don't see how inetd can make identd return 'no user' when it shouldn't. :)
 > >
 > > I don't see that either. You will want to try one of two things:
 >
 > *grrr* What you can't see _can_ hurt you. Please don't let Brian's
 > comments influence your willingness to try this with a working inetd.

 Inetd is not the problem here! He should try running a proper interface
 for socket credentials, rather than the libkvm interface. I am 99.44%
 certain that the problem is race conditions in the libkvm interface,
 which are avoided using the proper solution which I kindly implemented
 for everyone.

 > I just ran 10000 connections to my ident port and queried a valid
 > socket/port pair, redirecting the output to a text file. Here's what I
 > found:
 >
 > for i in `jot 10000 1` ; do
 > 	nc axl.noc.iafrica.com 113 <pair.in
 > done > nc-ident.out
 > wc -l nc-ident.out
 >    10000 ident.out
 > sort nc-ident.out | uniq
 > 3237 , 11338 : USERID : UNIX :sheldonh
 >
 > I'm not saying that it's impossible that there are bugs in pidentd. I'm
 > just saying that writing new code to replace it because you think that
 > it has bugs that aren't there, instead of tracking down those bugs, is
 > downright silly.
 >
 > Please try with a fixed inetd. If you still encounter problems, I'll be
 > more than happy to help you resolve them. Your feedback will be very
 > much appreciated.
 >
 > Ciao,
 > Sheldon.

  Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
  green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
      FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
        http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/