Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:52:49 -0800
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing sh for compatibility sake

Chuck wrote:
>I'm sorry, that's not true.  Ask anyone who writes shell scripts that
>install software (or perform any necessarily portable function) across
>multiple platforms.  sh is the shell to use ONLY BECAUSE it's the lowest
>common denominator.  Why else would they use the dumbest shell?

I've written numerous system/install sh scripts.  But it's not to
one specific implementation, its many.  It seems like every OS
has it's own variant of sh.  I do not know of any version of sh
that can reliable used as a golden target sh.  Each and very
implementation of sh has its quirks that have to be dealt with.
FreeBSD sh definitely has its, as do the others.

Any change will likely cause problems in some existing scripts.
Also, any change will cause developers to deal with additional
portability issues.  This is life.  Most multiple platform sh
developers have already adapted to specific quicks of popular
sh implementations.  Changing from one to another should not
be that big of a deal.  I suspect a few FreeBSD-only sh scripts
will choke.

Don't change sh for compatibility sake, our scripts are already
compatible!  Do change for functionality sake, we'll adapt as
necessary.

Kurt