Date:      Sun, 10 May 2009 10:31:29 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        kenneth hatteland <kenneth.hatteland@kleppnett.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libcups missing

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 09:51:25AM +0200, kenneth hatteland wrote:
> First of all I`d like to say thank you for putting up with all my=20
> amateur questions. I hope I can be of use here on the list some day...:)
>=20
> I had CUPS working nicely on an networked HP cp1515n from all machines=20
> in the house. But after upgrading FreeBSD and ports to 7.2 my FreeBSD=20
> machines states this problem when reaching login : /libexec/ld-elf.so.1=
=20
> : shared object "libcups.so.2" not found, required by "cupsd"
>=20
> I guess this has something either to do with cups being recently=20
> upgraded, or I have negelcted inspecting a file when doing mergemaster=20
> during upgrade to 7.2

I had the same problem when upgrading recently. Rebuilding the
cups-client port fixed it. If you have portmaster installed you can do:

portmaster -B -d cups-client

If not, go to /usr/ports/print/cups-client and run 'make deinstall' and
'make install clean' as root.

> While I am bugging you anyway, I have a problem getting my permissions=20
> for use of my Packard Bell scanner with xscan not as root to stick when=
=20
> I rebbot. It all works nicely when I chmod every time, but where and how=
=20
> to make this stick ?

You need to set that in /etc/devfs.rules, and activate the ruleset in
/etc/rc.conf. The devfs.rules(5) manual pages explains it. Scanners are
even used as an example. :-) If you wish to give unrestricted access,
change the mode to 0666.

Roland
--=20

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd