Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:17:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P5 vs Celeron vs PII

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Dennis wrote:

> In  a nutshell, does anyone have a handle on the relative preformance of
> these are?
>
> 233Mhz P5 vs 233Mhz Celeron

233MHz P5 (w/L2 cache on motherboard) > 233MHz Celeron (no L2 cache)

> 333Mhz Celeron vs 333 Mhz PII

In my experience, the Celeron CPUs which have the 128KB full-speed
cache are pretty much on-par (though not always) with the PII CPUs
with 512KB half-speed cache.

I have noticed that in certain computationally-heavy situations that
the smaller Celeron cache hurts (cracking a password with John The
Ripper, for instance), even though it runs at a higher clock rate.

Last time I looked, the price difference was enough that the Celeron
gives you more bang for the buck.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."