Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 20:35:57 -0500
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Migrating freebsd to a larger partition?

I have a machine which originally had 3 partitions:

	1	8MB, linux /boot
	2	2GB, unused
	3	6.75GB, extended (linux /, swap, etc.)

I installed FreeBSD in partition 2 and migrated files and configuration
from the linux installation.  Now I want to change the Linux installation
into a FreeBSD installation, and then free up partition 2 again.

I deleted the extended partition (slice) from /stand/sysinstall and created
a single slice, then created FreeBSD partitions within it, newfs'ed them,
and copied the entire installation over filesystem by filesystem:

	da0s3a	new /
	da0s3b	new swap
	da0s3f	new /usr (long story)
	da0s3g	100MB (reserved for Arla cache)

The MBR boot loader offers to boot it (F3 - FreeBSD), but initially got a
read error on attempting to boot; I tracked this down to garbage in the CHS
part of the MBR partition table (left over from Linux fdisk), and redid it
with FreeBSD fdisk.  Now the MBR boot loader still offers to boot from the
slice but simply beeps when I try.

Is there some better/correct way to do this?  (NB:  the original is still
there, I can nuke da0s3 entirely and start over if needed.)

(Please respond directly:  I will try to track this from the web archive
but I already get too much mail to subscribe to -questions directly....)

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu