Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:38:25 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problmes with Soundblaster 16 pci getting commonplace and noend

Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

>   1) I do not like upgrade procedure to 4.0

Buy CDs.  Install.  It really isn't difficult.  The only hard part about
upgrading to 4.0 is if you do a source upgrade.  If you can't afford the
CDs, download the ISO and burn it (or get someone with a CD-R to do so
if you don't have one yourself).  If you can't do that, just do an FTP
install.  What specifically don't you like about the binary upgrade?  I know
the source upgrade is a PITA, but I think that's true of all major version
boundaries.

>   2) It is to far for me to upgrade just for soundcard's sake.You
>      on your own have said that you have managed to get it running.
>      Why should I not ?

I probably thought you were running 4.x when I said that.  3.x is a
different matter, since as I said in my last mail the sound code has
been significantly improved.

There is NO POINT complaining that something doesn't work in 3.x,
especially when you haven't even tried the card with a newer release.
Unless you do the work yourself, it is unlikely to be fixed as that
release is mostly getting just security fixes now, or fairly minor other
fixes.  Bringing in the whole of the sound code from 4.x is not going to
happen.  Well, if it does I'll be very surprised.

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /