Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:14:23 +0100
From:      "Yaraghchi, Stephan" <stephan.yaraghchi@boerse-berlin-bremen.de>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HP DAT 72i SCSI tape drive in COMPAQ Proliant ML370 (P17)

Hi all!

I posted this to 'questions' already but I reckon this place is more
appropriate.

My problem is that I'm trying to get a HP StorageWorks DAT 72i tape
drive running in a COMPAQ Proliant ML370 (Rev. P17).

The integrated SCSI controller appears in the dmesg output like this:

ida0: <Compaq Integrated Array controller> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem
0xc4000000-0xc4ffffff,0xc5000000-0xc5ffffff irq 15 at device 1.0 on pci0
ida0: drives=3D1 firm_rev=3D1.42

The hot-plug drive cage is connected to internal SCSI port 2 of the
mainboard and contains 2 SCSI drives mirrored as one logical drive which
is detected like this:

idad0: <Compaq Logical Drive> on ida0
idad0: 43365MB (88813440 sectors), blocksize=3D512

To get things going I connected the tape drive to the internal SCSI port
1 of the motherboard.
The tape drive got detected by the system bios but there was nothing to
see in the dmesg output.

I then added an Adaptec 19160 SCSI adapter and connected the tape drive
to it.
Success! The tape drive got detected as 'sa0' as expected hours before.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem with the onboard SCSI port
could be?

Stephan.