Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:45:23 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Randall Dill <commodity7@email.msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i want to know what bsd is

On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 02:59:26PM -0400, Randall Dill wrote:
> Please email me bacl and tell me what BSD is.

It is not a program that you simply download and run. It is a Unix-style
operating system, quite unlike any Microsoft operating systems.

Some people have two or more operating systems installed on the one
computer. To do it that way, you would need to have a large area of disk
that has not been set up as any kind of Microsoft partition. There are
ways to reduce the size of a Microsoft partition to make free space for
FreeBSD as well, or some people have two hard disks, one for each
operating system. Each time they boot the computer they get to choose
which operating system to use. Generally you can't run applications for
one operating system under another operating system.

> Also please tell me how i can get it. Thankyou.

Full details are given on the FreeBSD web site, including information
about how to get FreeBSD and how to install it as your operating system.

If you decide to do this, first examine all sections of the installation
documentation carefully. Then if you still have questions write to our
group of volunteer support people at freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-