Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:09:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Desmond Coughlan <coughlandesmond@yahoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem installing on i386

Hi,
  I hope that I'm not sending this to the wrong list, or that the question hasn't already been answered.

  I'm trying to install 6.1-RELEASE onto a Pentium-3.

  I had a lot of trouble creating the diskettes, but after changing the floppy drive, no problem.  Now, when I do the install, I have two hard drives, and configure them as follows...

  disk0
  150M /
  512M /etc
  512M /etc
  512M /var
  1024M /bin
  4096M /usr
  1024M swap

  disk1
  4096M /forums
  4096M /mail
  4096M /sql
  1024M swap

  I go through the installation, via ftp, and then set the root password.  Oh, and the 'FreeBSD boot manager' is the option I choose, when configuring the disks.

  When I reboot, this is what I see ...

  Manual root filesystem specification
ufs:da0s1a
  ?                           List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line> Abort manual imput

  ... and that's it.

  Nothing else.  The machine just sits there.

  Is there something I've missed ?  We've tried the same install on three different machines, using three different motherboards, and four different hard drives.  Something is wrong, either with the installation media, or else with our method of going about it.  Oh, and I tried installing 5.5 on the same machines, with the same result.

  FreeBSD rocks; I've used it for a long time on many different machines, and this is the first time that this has happened.

  Could someone suggest a solution?  The people with whom I'm installing this, are starting to whisper the word 'Linux', and it's giving me nightmares....   :(

  Thanks.

D.C

 Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.