Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:17:03 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Eric Joyner <ricera10@gmail.com>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding new media types to if_media.h

> M> I'm not sure what would be different about your approach; you mentioned "n"
> M> versions rather than "x" versions of the ioctls, but I don't know what you
> M> have in mind for encoding.  Any compatible version would be limited to int.

> The difference is that I suggest to go with a completely new interface. Yep,
> as you say, if_media is basically wrong. So new ioctl will use new non-wrong
> structure as argument.

I think that part of the wrongness of if_media is to try to create a
one-size-fits-all-network-types interface.  If the replacement is a
single ioctl, I don't think it's enough of an improvement to break
the driver KPI.

> And we achieve new feature in 10.2 by merging new ioctl back there, where
> it will coexist with old unmodified interface. While in head, we no longer
> need to carry forth the wrong if_media.

I would think that this would be a huge problem for driver modules.
And I think the old if_media will need to be supported for the user-level
API for some time, unless someone is going to fix a lot of ports.

Also, many of us are backporting much before 10.2.

		Mike