Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:28:35 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make installkernel=MYKERNEL doesn't seem to do anything

I've just finishing a cvsup/buildworld combination to take me to 4.1-
stable from 4.0-release.  I've tried three methods to build a kernel.  All
have failed.  I am using a kernel config file which compiled cleanly under
4.0-release; no changes have been made to it since.

method 1:

[root@paul:/usr/src] # make buildkernel KERNEL=ATOM

>>> Rebuilding kernel(s)
===> ATOM
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf;
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/
usr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin  config -r -d
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATOM ATOM
Removing old directory /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATOM:  Done.
config: line 69: devices with zero units are not likely to be correct
config: line 70: syntax error

method 2:
If I try a "make buildkernel=ATOM" followed by "make
installkernel=ATOM", the contents of / is unchanged (i.e. no new kernel)

method 3:
config -r ATOM gives config errors the same as in the first example.

cheers.
--
Dan Langille  [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/