Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:36:25 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        <up@3.am>, "Olaf Hoyer" <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Server mainboards, was: Re: Gigabyte Athlon motherboard

Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de> wrote:
> Personally, I made good experience with ASUS and Tyan boards.
<...>
> Other question: JUst had a discusion with some guys on another mailing
> list(also being some salesmen/ computer doctors) that mentioned that they
> find Tyan not being in the upper field in general. Also TYan is not that
> widespread in USA. Can someone confirm this?

A pair of my favorite vendors (www.esc-ca.com and
http://www.tdl.com/~netex/) at one point conciously carried primarily Asus
over Tyan because Asus had an order of magnitude lower return rate due to
mechanical problems.  [Actually, I seem to recall that their Asus return
rates were low enough that it was hard to derive anything from why they
were returned.]  Both of them now carry a wider variety of non-Asus
motherboards than they did back then - but still not Tyan.

Later,
scott