Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 01:15:23 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1p5

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 05:16:23PM +1030, Greg Lewis wrote:
> HotSpot is very very important.  Its the performance piece we're lacking
> to get FreeBSD accepted as a really solid alternative for serving Java
> based web apps and the like.  I _think_ that native threads may also
> be a prerequisite for HotSpot...

All I saw was a synchronization class in pthreads, but not green, so I'm
assuming you have to have a fully working native threading layer before
you can do HotSpot.

> My part in this is to obviously get your patches out in a new patchset
> so we can get some more eyes and testers on this.  Unfortunately I've

It's pre-alpha quality at this time and won't be ready for beta until I
fix the pthreads issue(s).

> had to work most of the weekend and haven't gotten a complete handle
> on things :(.  Patchset 6 is still under production...

Sure, do what you must. It was strange that I got a lack of response
from the community in general about this topic, which is why I thought
people's largely casual reaction to it was bizzare in recently
interactions. (/me shakes head)

I'm debugging my pthreads changes now and will post it when it's ready.

;-)

bill