Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:21:35 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd message from cron daemon

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:44:16PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Roland Smith writes:
>=20
> > The save-entropy script is being run from cron. See /etc/crontab. The f=
irst
> > line of this script after the header begins with "# This". It looks like
> > the hash mark was removed, and the shell is trying to find the "This"
> > command and fails.
>=20
> I checked both /usr/libexec/save-entropy and /etc/crontab.  The two
> files are identical on my production server and on my test server: same
> size, same contents, same modification date, etc.  However, this
> mysterious message is being mailed to me only on the test system.  I'm

Could it be that the cron output is mailed to someone else on the
production machine? It works OK on my 5.3 box, though. My system has
revision 1.2 of /usr/libexec/save-entropy, and it is 3073 bytes. Yours
should be the same, since the revision dates to Januari 2001.

Is there any difference between /usr/libexec/save-entropy and
/usr/src/libexec/save-entropy/save-entropy.sh ? They should be identical.

> somewhat bewildered.  I agree that it looks like a simple typo in a file
> somewhere, but the files are identical on both systems.
>=20
> What else could be wrong?

Hmmm, disk or filesystem trouble maybe? I guess that would show in the
logfile. Maybe an fsck on /usr in single user mode helps?

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in e-mail
public key: http://www.keyserver.net / \    Respect for open standards

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T