Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 12:10:07 -0800
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pthread_exit proto

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us> [010304 11:18] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone with CVS write access make the following change in
> > pthread.h
> >
> > void pthread_exit __P((void *));

> > void pthread_exit __P((void *)) __dead2;
> >
> > as this function doesnt return and gcc is giving me some annoying
> > warnings ;-)
> >
> > BTW, what is the standard mechanism for submitting a  patch such as
> > this. I know this probably isn't the really correct place to post
> > this...
>
> using send-pr:
> http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#gnats
>
> Is '__dead2' a GNU C thing?  or is in any sort of standard?
>
> Generally there's some resistance to putting GNU C specific
> code into the base system, is there a portable way to do this?
>
> --
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]

Erm... not really... __dead2, __unused, and even __pure2 are littered
throughout FreeBSD's header files... nothing wrong with them being there
as if the compiler being used is not GCC they are #define'd to nothing.

If there is some resistance to putting GCC-specific stuff in the system,
its news to me, because these attributes are used all over the place for
stuff like exit, _exit, abort, etc. I see nothing wrong with using this
GCC extension.

--
-farooq