Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2018 19:00:37 +0100
From:      Christian Ullrich <chris@chrullrich.net>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Cross" building for same architecture, different CPUTYPE

* Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 4 Mar 2018, at 18:29, Christian Ullrich <chris@chrullrich.net> wrote:

>> I have CPUTYPE?=core-avx2 in make.conf, but that should be irrelevant here.
>
> Actually, that *is* relevant for the stages after bootstrap-tools,
> build-tools and cross-tools.  E.g. 4.x and later.
>
> Again, this depends on how exactly you are overriding CPUTYPE.

Thank you for the explanation, Dimitry. As I wrote, I have the host's
native CPUTYPE in make.conf (CPUTYPE?=core-avx2) and the target on the
command line (make CPUTYPE=slm buildworld buildkernel).

Since my previous e-mail, I actually had the bright idea of removing
.../tmp/legacy/usr/bin/install, and that let the installkernel succeed.

My previous assumption that the remainder of the build obeyed the
override must have been wrong, though, because installworld failed in
strip for /lib/libc.so.7, and after that, nothing worked anymore.

Perhaps I should get a non-x86(_64) build host and really do a full
cross build ...

Thanks again,

--
Christian