Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:13:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to detect SMP-capable machines?

Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
 > At 00:46 05/11/2003 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Now the question:  What's the best way to determine an
 > > SMP-capable system, i.e. a system which is able to run
 > > an SMP kernel?
 >
 >    Install 5.1-CURRENT (or at least boot a 5.1-CURRENT filesystem), which
 > (I believe) now supports both UP and SMP in the GENERIC kernel, due to
 > recent changes by jhb.

I'm aware that -current kernels are supposed to support SMP
and UP without change, but we cannot use -current.  We have
to use -stable.  So that's not an option, I'm afraid.

I have now built an installation CD which uses the exit code
of mptable to decide whether to install an SMP or UP kernel.
It _seems_ to work on those machines on which I've tested it
so far.  Can somebody confirm that a -stable SMP kernel will
boot and run on all hardware on which mptable returns 0?

Regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout