Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:41:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kazuo Horikawa <horikawa@psinet.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   "first appeared" description in HISTORY of manual pages

Hi again,

Shall "first appeared" descriptions in HISTORY section write about
-RELEASE, instead of -STABLE?

My understanding is YES.  I could find an example, growfs(8) which says:
: HISTORY
:     The growfs command first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4.

On the other hand, tuning(7) says:
: HISTORY
:      The tuning manual page was originally written by Matthew Dillon and first
:      appeared in FreeBSD 4.3, May 2001.

Actually, 4.3-RELEASE was published in April and 4.3-RELEASE did not
include tuning(7).

I can understand that this sentence wanted to say that tuning(7) was
checked-in to 4.3-STABLE on May 2001.  But, I think this sentence is
misleading, unless 4.3-RELEASE is done before May 2001.

So, how about just replacing "FreeBSD 4.3, May 2001" with "FreeBSD 4.4"?

Thanks,
--
Kazuo Horikawa