Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:59:11 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot connect to printer...

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 06:27, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> I have read the manual carefully, looked in the forums and tried everything,
> but for the life of me I just cannot get my printer to work under FreeBSD.
>
> Actually my setup is nothing complicated or so you would think. I have an HP
> Deskjet 720C connected to my parallel printer port. It workes just fine
> under Windows so I know that the hardware, cables etc. are fine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have an HP 710C, which is very similar, and was intended as a
Windows-only printer.  A small team reverse-engineered the protocol, and
wrote "pnm2ppa", which will do the necessary conversion.  It is
available in the ports/packages collection, and works quite well.  It is
slow, and a better recommendation is to buy a more normal printer if the
money is available.