Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 04:53:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble Building libiconv

Gary Dunn wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 21:13:02 -0700
> Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:
>

>>Gary Dunn wrote:
>>

>>>Unable to make rsync, ytree, and rox-filer on my 4.6-RELEASE box this
>>>morning. Each build died with an error about building libiconv. I tried
>>>building that myself. Output follows. How do I fix this?
>>>

>>It is really hard to tell. The stock answer would probably upgrade
>>your system to a current version. The port libiconv-1.7_5 is not the
>>current release. So finding someone to help you may be pretty scarce.
>>This isn't the first time I have seen this problem and there have not
>>been any responses.
>>
>>What did you do before it failed. For example, did you cvsup ports-all
>>and not rebuild the INDEX.* files.
>>
>>Kent
>>

> I'm just learning to do this cvsup thing, and yes, I have a ports cvsup file that I use to update my ports tree every few days. I've done it maybe a half dozen times now. So, what's this about rebuilding the INDEX file? I guess I need to re-read that part of the manual.

If you have portupgrade installed, do a "man portsdb" and read about
portsdb -uU. You can also do a "man ports" and look at the index
option. The file /usr/ports/INDEX is used for dependancy definitions.
When you cvsup, you add new information to the port tree and you have
to update INDEX to make use of that information. INDEX is updated at a
low rate and in between you don't have the new information. So, you
can do one of the following

cd /usr/ports
make index

or

portsdb -uU

You have to do the portsdb if you are using portugrade to maintain
your ports. I have a script called uports and it does the cvsup and
runs portsdb to update my INDEX files.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart