Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2019 01:50:02 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Martin_Waschb=C3=BCsch?= <martin@waschbuesch.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP version retirement

Hi Adam,

> Am 11.08.2019 um 23:22 schrieb Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>:
>=20
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> Quarterly is essentially useless if the decision is to immediately =
axe a deprecated release. 3 months are nothing in production =
environments, if you get 3 months (1,5 months mean) at all and also all =
other updates and security relevant bug fixes in the same quarterly that =
you desperately need.
>>=20
>> Yeah, we know that won=E2=80=99t happen so please don=E2=80=99t =
suggest it.
>>=20
>> That deprecation policy is nice and well all by itself except when it =
wreaks havoc over the ports infrastructure like in the case of PHP =
version support where numerous ports are immediately unavailable and =
incompatible with upgrades.
>>=20
>> Furthermore, the argument that it is more more work to maintain an =
abandoned version is silly because it=E2=80=99s more work to delete a =
port that to just keep it in the tree for a while longer.
>=20
> That last part isn't correct. The work of deleting the ports is
> largely automated and simple, and it will always happen eventually.
> The work involved is in supporting unsupported versions. Our php team
> is spread very thin, and they simply cannot support php versions
> outside of upstream development. There are no resources to backport
> fixes that may or may not be designed to work with older versions

I do not understand this. At all.
And I sort of hope I misunderstood you, because it sounds like you think =
a maintainer is or may be regarded as someone who can be expected to =
provide product support of some kind?
I find that notion worrying to say the least.

I cannot speak for others, but my expectation is exactly that which is =
found in the BSD license:
That software is provided AS IS.

Also, neither I, nor Franco, I suspect, are talking about backports the =
way e.g. Debian is doing it. (Indeed, the word backports was introduced =
in this discussion by someone else.)

The point being made is that the end of upstream development on a piece =
of software should not, in and of itself, be sufficient grounds for its =
removal from ports.
It does not cease to be useful a couple of weeks after its latest =
release simply because there is no one actively developing it anymore.

Martin=