Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:26:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        <Joe.Warner@smed.com>
Cc:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD not recognizing memory

On 2001-10-19, Joe.Warner@smed.com scribbled:

# I still find it strange that this happened on this server.  My
# install of FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE correctly recognizes all
# 393mbs of memory on my PC at home.

I think the problem resides on how the BIOS on the Compaq Proliant 2500
responds to a total memory count request. I ran into the same problem
with a Proliant 2500 at work, copied GENERIC to a new conf file, added the
option, re-compiled and installed the new kernel, rebooted... and all
480MB of RAM detected. I just wish I had that much in my machine at
home!

--

Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]