Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:31:28 -0500
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, "Marcel Bonnet" <marcelbonnet@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Is there a problem with categ/newport-0 ?

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:15:25 -0500, Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it mandatory to drop the MAJOR_VERSION from the port suffix name? Is
> it
> optional? Is it mandatory to follow the upstream convention?

We have plenty of ports with multiple major versions in the ports tree.
Look at MySQL, Postgres, PHP, Perl, phpMyAdmin, etc etc.

However, just because port doesn't have a version number in its name
doesn't mean the shared library name include directory must be without. I
don't believe you'll be breaking any conventions by installing the
libraries in a way upstream prefers.