Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:37:00 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Derouen <mike.derouen@gmail.com>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC compatibility

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 01:59:25PM -0700, Mike Derouen wrote:
> I have been trying to get FreeBSD 7.0 amd64 to run on my hardware:
>
> motherboard: ASUS P5N-EM-HDMI
> chipset: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
> processor: intel core2 quad Q6600
>
> I have installed from the release ISO image, and everything seems to install
> fine.  However, I can't seem to get the network card to be recognized.  I
> have tried using both nfe and nve kernel modules, but neither one seems to
> identify with the onboard network card.  dmesg reports:
>
> pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 15.0 (no driver attached)
>
> Is there another module that uses the drivers listed here?:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.25.html  Or another way to get
> the network card working?  I have also considered going the ndisgen route
> and trying to use the windows drivers that came w/ the motherboard, but I'm
> thinking that there's a better solution to this problem out there.
>
> Any Ideas?

Provide the output from pciconf -lv.

By the way, finding specification details for that motherboard appears
to be difficult.  Asus's own site has empty fields for each spec.
detail, and all you can find on Google are vendors selling it.  The
closest thing I can find is the Windows driver page for the board:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N-EM%20HDMI

The User Manual lists the NIC as "Gb LAN".  Wow, thanks Asus.  The BIOS
listing in the Manual (which isn't 100% accurate, but it's the best
we've got) shows a "Onboard nVidia LAN" item.  I can't find any other
details about the board.

CC'ing PYUN YongHyeon, who should be able to help, since he assists in
maintaining these drivers for FreeBSD.