Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960612-SNAP resolver problems

> What does nslookup do?

It complains that it can't reverse resolve the nameserver's IP address
and exits.

I played with this for quite a while today.  I re-installed after making
a new boot image.  The NFS-based install failed when trying to resolve
the hostname to mount.  I then used an FTP install and it failed
trying to resolve the ftp host name.  After the NFS failed again,
I tried NFS back-to-back and it worked.  After booting, I got the
same name resolver problems.

So, more playing.  The box has a dec 21140 10/100 card running at 10
for the primary network interface.  It also has a dual 21040 card
for secondary networks.  I pulled the 21140 and made one of the
other interfaces the primary and noticed that is was enabled on
boot but when the "uha0" was probed (and not found), the interface
went down.  After removing the uha0 entry, I rebooted with the
original configuration and now everything works fine.

How the uha0 probe would affect only the dns lookups via the 21140
board is beyond me.

Well, it works now...

robin